Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What do you seek?


As the new year begins I am contemplating the direction of the Community. I am reminded of an old story about an aging Master:


The Master had grown old and infirm. When his disciples begged him not to die, he said: "If I do not go, how will you ever see?"


His disciples asked him, "What is it that we fail to see when you are with us?"


The Master gave no reply. When the moment drew near for the Master to depart, they asked again, "What will we see when you are gone?"


Smiling, with a certain light in his eye, the Master uttered these words:


"All I did was sit on the bank of the river and hand out river water. When I leave, I trust you will notice the river."
~

I ask the OPD Community and its friends this question for 2011: Do you see the river?
The artwork presented with this post is "The Water Fan" by Winslow Homer